If you are a Horizon patient and would like to book an appointment (such as a regular visit, complete physical, prenatal etc), you may do so as follows:
You can request an office visit if none of the following apply:
- If you have not travelled outside of Canada and returned to Alberta in the last 14 days
- If have not been exposed to someone who has COVID-19
AND you DO NOT have ANY of the following symptoms:
|New/Worse or Unexplained||New/Worse and Unexplained|
|Shortness of Breath||(3 or more episodes of vomiting and/or diarrhea in a 24-hour period)|
|Sore Throat/Painful Swallowing|
|Runny Nose/Nasal Congestion|
Please do not visit the clinic if these conditions apply or if you have any of the symptoms above.
Patients with any of the symptoms above are required to self-isolate and need to consult with Health Link 811 to be tested for COVID-19.
If you do not meet these conditions or have any of the symptoms above, you can:
- Book an appointment online via Health Myself. Please indicate whether you would like your appointment done by phone.
- Phone the clinic to book an appointment
- Visit our Urgent Access Clinic (as long as you do not meet any of the conditions nor have any of the symptoms above).
If you are unsure whether you should come into the clinic to be seen by a physician, please contact the clinic. At the physician’s discretion, they may choose to arrange a phone appointment prior to your arrival.
Important Information For All Horizon Patients
- Clinic staff are trying their best to ensure that time spent in our waiting room is minimal. As an option, please contact us so we can arrange for you to wait in your car and then phone you when it is time for your in-clinic appointment.
- Wearing a mask is required for all in-clinic appointments.
- All patients are required to sanitize their hands upon entry into the clinic. Wall hand sanitizers are located near the reception desk in both clinics.
- Whenever possible, the clinic is requesting patients limit family members or others that attend appointments unless there are extenuating circumstances (language barrier, unable to secure childcare, patients who require support for physical/cognitive reasons).
- Appointment booking times may change based on physician and staff availability.
- At the physician’s discretion, patient pre-screening may take place over the phone with a physician contacting you prior to any appointment.
COVID-19 and Your Mental Health
A public health emergency, like the COVID-19 outbreak, can be extremely stressful. For individuals and communities who have to self-isolate, socially distance themselves, or who have otherwise directly been impacted by COVID-19, there may be heightened awareness, concern, anxiety, and fear. The following websites may be helpful resources during this difficult time.
Horizon Family Medicine, a fifteen family physician clinic, is one of Central Alberta's largest family medical practices with clinic locations in Red Deer and Sylvan Lake.
Horizon Family Medicine focuses on patient centered care through a "Medical Home" model and is part of the Red Deer Primary Care Network. Both clinics utilize a shared Telus Health electronic medical record (EMR) database integrated with Alberta Netcare. From time to time, a limited number of Horizon physicians may be accepting new patients.
If you are a rostered patient of Horizon and you have enrolled with Pomelo Health, formerly known as Health Myself, for online appointment booking, please click on the Pomelo Health weblink to access the portal. If you have note enrolled and are interested, please inquire with clinic staff. For more information on the portal and its benefits, please see Pomelo Health Summary PDF.