Coronavirus COVID-19 Notice
Due to the recent COVID-19 outbreak, Horizon Family Medicine is strongly encouraging all patients to review the information posted by Alberta Health at ahs.ca/covid. Note that currently, clinic phone lines are extremely busy and wait times on hold can be long.
What Should I Do If I Think I Have COVID-19?
If you have symptoms such as fever, cough and difficulty breathing and have traveled outside Canada or have been exposed to someone who has COVID-19, stay home and call Health Link 811. If you are not seriously ill, do not go to a physician’s office, a health care facility or a lab without consulting with Health Link 811 first. Call 911 if you are seriously ill and need immediate medical attention and inform them that you may have COVID-19.
Information for Horizon Family Medicine Patients
During the upcoming weeks to months, Horizon Family Medicine will be adapting day-by-day to assist our patients with their ongoing health needs. We want to continue to ensure the health of our patients but want to accomplish this in the safest manner which may mean delaying routine appointments or moving to virtual visits (phone/other online platform). This week, the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta has advised that we reduce, as much as possible, "unnecessary" in-office visits. What defines an "unnecessary" visit is unclear and open to interpretation. However, unnecessary visits may include routine check-ups ("yearly" physical exams, well-child check-ups, etc.) and routine medication refill visits.
Here are some general guidelines for how our patients can address their in-clinic medical needs during the pandemic.
Currently Booked Appointments
If you have an upcoming appointment in the next few weeks, please review your needs and do one of the following:
- If you feel your appointment is not necessary at this time, you may phone the clinic, cancel the appointment and request a phone appointment. If you have enrolled in Health Myself, when you cancel your appointment online you can request your physician phone you.
- If you feel that an office visit is warranted and you do not have symptoms of a respiratory infection, you can proceed with a booked/consult appointment or Urgent Access visit.
- Foot and Sports Medicine consults and surgeries that are considered urgent are still proceeding provided that the patient is well. In addition, Circumcision and Vasectomy consults and surgeries are proceeding provided that the patient is well.
If you would like to book a new appointment in the coming weeks, you may do so two ways:
- Contact Horizon for a phone appointment or request an office visit (if you do not have symptoms of a respiratory infection).
- If booking online via Health Myself, please indicate whether you would like your appointment done by phone.
Please be aware:
- Appointment booking times may change based on physician and staff availability.
- At this time, prenatal appointments are continuing to be seen in-clinic. Horizon will direct maternity patients on the frequency of their appointments based on each unique situation. The clinic is requesting prenatal patients, whenever possible, limit family members that attend prenatal appointments.
- Clinic staff are trying their best to ensure that time spent in our waiting room is minimal. As an option, we can arrange for you to wait in your car and then phone you when it is time for your in-clinic appointment.
- If your family physician has directed you to follow up on a particular medical concern, lab result, specialist referral etc in the coming few months and you have not booked in for an appointment as of yet, please either contact the clinic to request a phone appointment or request a phone appointment via Health Myself. This will allow you to discuss a plan with your family physician.
- Due to current Alberta government restrictions, personal services relating to cosmetic and esthetics being offered through the Horizon Vein & Cosmetic Centre, horizoncosmeticcentre.ca, have been postponed until further notice.
If you require a prescription refill and have no concerns with your current prescription(s), please contact your pharmacist to fax the clinic a request.
Horizon Family Medicine is co>ntinuing to work diligently to provide you with ongoing care during this difficult time.
COVID-19 and Your Mental Health
A public health emergency, like the COVID-19 outbreak, can be extremely stressful. For individuals and communities who have to self-isolate, socially distance themselves, or who have otherwise directly been impacted by COVID-19, there may be heightened awareness, concern, anxiety, and fear. The following websites may be helpful resources during this difficult time.
Horizon Family Medicine, a fifteen family physician clinic, is one of Central Alberta's largest family medical practices with clinic locations in Red Deer and Sylvan Lake.
Horizon Family Medicine focuses on patient centered care through a "Medical Home" model and is part of the Red Deer Primary Care Network. Both clinics utilize a shared Telus Health electronic medical record (EMR) database integrated with Alberta Netcare. From time to time, a limited number of Horizon physicians may be accepting new patients.
Effective July 1, 2018, Horizon Family Medicine strengthened its role as a "Medical Home" for our rostered patients. This transition has provided better, more timely medical care for Horizon’s confirmed patient base. For more specific information, please read the following patient letter.
If you are a rostered patient of Horizon and you have enrolled with Health Myself for online appointment booking, please click on the Health Myself weblink to access the portal. If you have not enrolled and are interested, please inquire with clinic staff. For more information on the portal and its benefits, please see summary PDF.
For updated business hours of operation please reference clinic hours.