Coronavirus COVID-19 Notice
Due to the recent COVID-19 outbreak, Horizon Family Medicine is strongly encouraging all patients to review the information posted by Alberta Health at ahs.ca/covid.
What Should I Do If I Think I Have COVID-19?
If you have symptoms such as respiratory infection, fever, cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, runny nose or have traveled outside Canada or have been exposed to someone who has COVID-19, stay home and call Health Link 811. If you are not seriously ill, do not go to a physician’s office, a health care facility or a lab without consulting with Health Link 811 first. Call 911 if you are seriously ill and need immediate medical attention and inform them that you may have COVID-19. Alberta Health also provides a COVID-19 self assessment at albertahealthservices.ca/topics/Page17058.aspx.
Update to Horizon Family Medicine Patients
Through this crisis, Horizon Family Medicine has been rapidly adapting to assist our patients with their ongoing health needs. We are striving to continue to ensure the health of our patients is top priority and is accomplished in the safest manner. This is diligently being done by proper use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), physical distancing measures within our waiting rooms and throughout the clinics as well as following strict infection-control guidelines.
Effective, June 12, 2020, The Alberta government has announced a safely staged COVID-19 Relaunch Strategy Stage 2 to further reopen the province for business. For more information, visitalberta.ca/alberta-relaunch-strategy.aspx.
To help support patients who feel they need to discuss their health with a family physician at an in-clinic visit, we encourage patients to do so. If patients do not feel comfortable with in-clinic visits or are not well at this time, virtual options by phone or other online platform are available.
Here are some general guidelines for how our patients can address their in-clinic medical concerns.
If you would like to book a new appointment, you may do so as follows:
- Request an office visit (if you do not have symptoms of a respiratory infection, fever, cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, runny nose) or contact Horizon for a phone appointment. If you are unsure whether you should come into the clinic for booked appointment or an Urgent Access visit, please phone the clinic to arrange a phone appointment with a physician prior to arriving at the clinic.
- If booking online via Health Myself, please indicate whether you would like your appointment done by phone.
Note: Patient pre-screening may take place over the phone with a physician contacting you prior to any appointment.
If you require a prescription refill, please follow the directions above under "New Appointments".
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, our maternity clinic has made the decision to temporarily host prenatal appointments exclusively from our Sylvan Lake location. This location has direct clinic access from outside, a more ideal floor plan for these type of appointments and a much lower volume of patients. All these factors will lead to increased safety for our prenatal patients. Horizon will continue to direct maternity patients on the frequency of their appointments based on each unique situation. Whenever possible, the clinic is requesting prenatal patients limit family members or others that attend prenatal appointments unless there are extenuating circumstances (language barrier, unable to secure childcare, patients who require support for physical/cognitive reasons).
Important Information For All Horizon Patients
- Clinic staff are trying their best to ensure that time spent in our waiting room is minimal. As an option, we can arrange for you to wait in your car and then phone you when it is time for your in-clinic appointment.
- All patients are required to sanitize their hands upon entry into the clinic. Wall hand sanitizers are located near the reception desk in both clinics.
- Please bring a personal mask to your appointment.
- If your family physician has directed you to follow up on a particular medical concern, lab result, specialist referral etc. in the coming few months and you have not booked in for an appointment as of yet or are unsure to do so, please either contact the clinic to request a phone appointment or request a phone appointment online. This will allow you to discuss a plan with your family physician.
- Appointment booking times may change based on physician and staff availability.
- Foot and Sports Medicine consults and surgeries as well as services offered through the Horizon Joint Rejuvenation Centre, hjrcentre.com, that are considered urgent will be triaged and will proceed provided that the patient is well. In addition, Circumcision and Vasectomy consults and surgeries are proceeding provided that the patient is well.
COVID-19 and Your Mental Health
A public health emergency, like the COVID-19 outbreak, can be extremely stressful. For individuals and communities who have to self-isolate, socially distance themselves, or who have otherwise directly been impacted by COVID-19, there may be heightened awareness, concern, anxiety, and fear. The following websites may be helpful resources during this difficult time.
Horizon Family Medicine, a fifteen family physician clinic, is one of Central Alberta's largest family medical practices with clinic locations in Red Deer and Sylvan Lake.
Horizon Family Medicine focuses on patient centered care through a "Medical Home" model and is part of the Red Deer Primary Care Network. Both clinics utilize a shared Telus Health electronic medical record (EMR) database integrated with Alberta Netcare. From time to time, a limited number of Horizon physicians may be accepting new patients.
Effective July 1, 2018, Horizon Family Medicine strengthened its role as a "Medical Home" for our rostered patients. This transition has provided better, more timely medical care for Horizon’s confirmed patient base. For more specific information, please read the following patient letter.
If you are a rostered patient of Horizon and you have enrolled with Health Myself for online appointment booking, please click on the Health Myself weblink to access the portal. If you have not enrolled and are interested, please inquire with clinic staff. For more information on the portal and its benefits, please see summary PDF.
Overflow Access Notice
If you are unsure whether you should come into the clinic for booked appointment or an Urgent Access visit, please phone the clinic to arrange a phone appointment with a physician prior to arriving at the clinic.
For updated business hours of operation please reference clinic hours.